Professor of Political Science and EU Political System, Francesca Longo is Vice-Rector since January 1st 2022.
She graduated from Unict in 1987 with a degree in political science writing a thesis dissertation on "Regime change and the international situation: the case of Spain". She completed her PhD in International Relations in 1992. She was awarded a scholarship by the European Consortium for Political Research (ECPR) to pursue higher education in 1994 at the University of Leeds (UK) where she studied the EU political system. She was a visiting scholar at the University of Bradford (1999) and at the University of Cairo, with funding from DAAD Program (2009). She currently works as a full professor of Political Science at Unict Department of Political and Social Sciences.
Scientific and professional profile
- Holder of the "Jean Monnet" Chair in European Union Public Policy"
- Coordinator of the Italian group for the research project "The international refugee regime between globalization and nativization - Protect" funded by the European Commission, within the framework of the H2020 program
- Member of the scientific committee for the “University Association of European Studies (AUSE) published by Carocci Ed.
- Member of the International Editorial Board of the PHRG – Journal for Human Rights Peace and Governance
- Deputy Director at the Department of Political and Social Sciences from 2015 to 2017
- Coordinator Delegate for Internationalization of the University of Catania from 2019 to 2021
- She coordinated research projects funded by the European Commission and Miur
- Research activity covers issues linked to the EU political system on security and migration policies
- Member of the Scientific Committee for the "Conference on the EU Future" at the Council of Ministers Presidency
- Member of the Executive Committee for the International Political Science Association - IPSA
- Member of the Doctorate Board for "Political Science and Sociology" Scuola Normale Superiore Pisa / Florence
- Member of the Steering Committee of the Italian Society of European Studies
- President of the Italian Society of Political Science - "SISP" from 2018 to 2021
- ASN Commissioner for a two-year period 2012-2014