The City of Science
Scientific Coordinator: Prof. Alessia Tricomi
UNICT’s City of Science is devoted to the spread of scientific and technological knowledge. It is an actual meeting point as well as a leisure facility filled with games and experiments arousing intellectual curiosity towards the thousand whys around nature and technology. The "do not touch" imperative ban is hereby forbidden.
Catania’s City of Science is set inside an old sulphur refinery, which is a clear evidence of the architectural legacy left over from a thriving economy. It is situated on higher ground with a gallery on top of it displaying some pieces of the university's most historical and scientific collections. An exhibition area inside the reading room is also devoted to word and writing technologies.
Interactive activities consist of six topic areas:
- the LIFE area for biology;
- the ROBOT area to play and learn with robotics;
- the BIT area for the use of IT applications in a fun way;
- the EUREKA area as a training ground for science where the mysteries of physics can be looked upon;
- the SPACE area with a large planetarium.
The facility is fully equipped with a 148-seat auditorium and an internal 700-m2 courtyard suitable for conference use, theatre, workshops, science shows and all sorts of performances and film screenings.