The degree course in Physiotherapy is a three year duration program with limited enrolment by means admission test. It is designed to produce healthcare operators working in the rehabilitation field. The course covers basic and more specific topics required to understand the processes involved in the pathologies of young, adult and elderly patients. The course will also give to the student the chance to perform rehabilitative and / or therapeutic activities.
Students who apply to the Physiotherapy course are required to have strong communication and team work skills in order to interact promptly with other members of the rehabilitation team. A good knowledge of the English language is also required in order to be able to access autonomously the international literature available online and to take part of international studentships / work experiences (i.e. Erasmus) abroad. The achievement of professional skills is implemented through a set of theoretical knowledge and practical abilities including the acquisition of behavioral skills. Particular note covers the pratical clinical traineeship carried out in rehabilitation facilities under the supervision of professional tutors. Students can also customize their study plan with additional educational and training activities selected among those offered annually by teachers (i.e. Informatic courses, additional foreign language courses, seminars, participation to conferences).
In order to acquire the professional skills required by the ministerial decree, the three years training in Physiotherapy will be as follows:
- Year 1: acquisition of biological, biomedical, kinesiological/ biomechanical, neurophysiological and cognitive disciplines. These disciplines are basic skills required in the first part of the training. Furthermore, the student will acquire scientific methodologies and skills in epidemiology.
- Year 2: acquisition of knowledge related to motor, cognitive and functional impairments in internal medicine, surgery, traumatology, orthopaedics, paediatrics, gynaecology, neurology, anaesthesiology, cardio-respiratory of the adult patient. The student will also experience intellectual, relational and gestural abilities, and also he will be able to identify theoretical aspects related to the clinical practice, and to research them in the online scientific library.
- Year 3: acquisition of knowledge and methodologies related to team work. The student will be able to work autonomously and to take responsibilities under the supervision of senior professionals. Furthermore, the student will acquire some management skills required to his own professional development in the future employment.
Physiotherapy graduates are qualified to operate in the following areas, in a self-employed or employed capacity:
- general public or private rehabilitation units
- specialist public or private rehabilitation units
- care homes for the elderly or disabled people
- independent services, in a specialised facility or home nursing.