Applied Pharmaceutical Sciences
Applied Pharmaceutical Sciences, a three year degree course, is structured with the first year in common, while at the second year it is possible to choose two curricula: "herbalnutraceutical” or "environmental food toxicology".
The course program includes basic knowledge (biology, anatomy, chemistry, physics, mathematics) and botanical, pharmacognostic, pharmacological, pharmaceutical and toxicological chemistry, cosmetic, and skills in analytical chemistry, environmental chemistry and environmental legislation, necessary to form professionals who can operate in the herbalnutraceutical sector and food and environmental toxicology to protect the health and safety of the individual.
The graduated will be able to perform the following activities:
- recognition of officinal plants, transformation, analysis of the content in active ingredients, quality control of herbal products and nutraceuticals according to quality system certification standards;
- preparation of formulation, packaging, marketing and control of officinal plants and their derivatives;
- chemical, chemical-toxicological and toxicological control of the environment and food;
- to plan prevention and educational interventions for the health of the population in relation to the toxicological aspects deriving from the chemical and biological pollution of the environment and food.
Course attendance is mandatory. Absences are allowed for no more than 30% of the total hours of lessons evaluated in all their forms of completion. Students may request complete or partial dispensation from the obligation to attend the theoretical lessons for serious and justified reasons.
The degree programme aims to train professionals with knowledge that will enable them:
- to operate in the sectors of transformation, formulation, packaging, marketing and control of plant parts and their derivatives, as products with a healthy, nutritional and cosmetic value. This professional can also work in the agronomic field of the production of medicinal plants and will have the basic knowledge to manage a production company;
- to operate in experimental analytical investigation laboratories carrying out biological, chemical, microbiological and toxicological control activities and assessment of the risk associated with the presence of toxic substances in the environment and in food, to protect the health of the population. Professional figures will be trained to identify situations of harmfulness in living environments and to facilitate the overcoming and elimination of dangerous situations in order to achieve better environmental conditions.
The graduated in Applied Pharmaceutical Sciences must be also able to use fluently both written and spoken English, in order to operate in an international context and to update themself.
The degree course foresees the carrying out of a period of training at research institutions, public and private companies affiliated with the University of Catania. The period of training can be done abroad as part of exchange programs with other EU universities. The activity of training will end with the preparation of a paper concerning the activity carried out that will be the object of discussion in the final exam.
At the end of the training course, the graduates will have the opportunity to continue their studies in Master's Degrees related to the specific disciplinary scientific sectors and in first-level University master's courses.
- Chemical technicians
- Food production technicians
- Folk medicine technicians
- Biochemical laboratory technicians