International Visiting Professors - Researchers - Ph.D. Students

The following guidelines are addressed to UE and non-UE professors/researchers/Ph.D. Students who intend to carry out a mobility period (from 2 weeks up to an academic year) at the University of Catania. Such mobility can be done in every moment of the academic year compatibly with Departments didactic or research activities. This procedure must be followed both for mobilities within the framework of international agreements and free.

Application procedures

  • Obtain the Acceptance letter from the Department of the University of Catania hosting the mobility. Fill in the application form online and submit it together with a scanned copy of the Acceptance letter, at least 15 days before the supposed arrival date. 
  • Application will automatically arrive at the International Mobility Office (IMO) of the University of Catania who will send data to the Insurance Office and to the Safety and Prevention Area.

Arrival procedures

  • Reach the Department interested and register the arrival at the International Didactic Unit (IDU).
  • IDU will transmit registration data to the IMO.
  • Agree with the IDU all the details for safety training seminar (mandatory for all incoming visitors) organized by the Safety and Prevention Area.

Departure procedures

At the end of the mobility notify your departure to the IDU who will issue an Attendance certificate stating the entire mobility period. The IDU will transmit copy of the Attendance certificate to the IMO.

VISA, insurance and medical assistance

In order to obtain VISA, upon request, IDU will issue an acceptance letter indicating:

  • type of mobility
  • if it is covered by scholarship
  • accommodation

Once in Italy international guests must follow Italian procedures to obtain their stay permission.

International guests may benefit from an insurance policy limited to participation at didactic/formative activities, excluding sport activities. EU guests can benefit from medical assistance only if they have the European Sanitary Card, non-EU guests need to have their own medical insurance.

Italian “Codice Fiscale”

International guests accepted must get the Italian Codice Fiscale. In order to obtain it, they need to go to Agenzia delle Entrate with their passport/identity card and stay permission (if non-EU citizens).
For updated information on Resident permit and Fiscal code, click here.


The University of Catania verifies, every year, available accommodation and catering services.
For updated and detailed information, please click here.

Ultima modifica: 
22/12/2017 - 12:33