A warm welcome from our Rector
Francesco Priolo, the Head of Physics & Astronomy Department "Ettore Majorana" of the University of Catania where he teaches Physics of Matter, is the newly elected Rector at the University of Catania for a six-year term starting from 2019 to 2025.
From 2013 up until 2018, he was appointed to the role of President for the School of Excellence within the University (the so-called Scuola Superiore di Catania) alongside the Sicilian District for Micro- and Nanotechnology, with an official Fellowship at the European Academy of Sciences (EURASC).
From 2009 to 2011, Francesco Priolo was the then President of the European Materials Research Society (E-MRS), in addition to being the actual founder of the Research Community Center MATIS (for Materials, Technologies, Information, Communication and Solar Energy), which then merged into CNR, an independent research body stemming from the IMM Institute.
On August 23, 2019 Francesco Priolo was elected as the new Rector of the University of Catania for the academic term 2019/2025.
Scientific and professional profile
His primary research interests include nanotechnologies for electronics, photonics, photovoltaics and sensing. Francesco Priolo is the author of 1 book, of over 400 papers and reviews on international journals, and the editor of 10 books. He is also the patent holder of 3 research studies and is frequently invited as a speaker at international conferences.
- Member of the European Research Council Panel for ERC Advanced Grant - 2016 & 2018
- Member of the Materials Science & Engineering Expert Committee (MatSEEC) of the European Science Foundation ( www.esf.org ) – 2010-2014
- Expert of the European Commission for the MicroElectronic Advanced Research Initiative (MEL-ARI) within Esprit and IST (1998-2000)
- Editor of the international journal Applied Physics A: Materials Science and Processing (Springer-Nature) from 2001 to 2016.
- Member of the Editorial Board of the journal Applied Physics Reviews, (American Institute of Physics) – since 2011
- Member of the Editorial Board of the journal npj 2D Materials and Applications (Nature Publishing Group)– since 2017
- Member of the Editorial Board of the journal Nanomaterials (MDPI, Basel) – since 2018
- Member of the Editorial Board of the journal Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research B, Elsevier (2001-2006)
- Member of the “ISOLDE and Neutron Time-of-Flight Experiments Committee” (INTC) at CERN (2003-2006).
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Institute of Ion Beam and Materials Research (www.fzd.de/fwi) within the Forschungszentrum Dresden(Germany) (2007-2010).
- Member of the Scientific Council of the European Laboratory for Non-Linear Spectroscopy (LENS – www.lens.unifi.it) in Florence
- Member of the Scientific Council of the Laboratory NEXT in Toulouse, France (Nano, mesures EXtrêmes & Théorie) comprehending 6 Istitutes of CNRS (CEMES, LCAR, LPCNO, LCPQ, LPT, LNCMI-T) – since 2011
- Member of the Group of Evaluation Experts (GEV) in Physics established by ANVUR to evaluate research performace in Italy (VQR) – 2012
- Coordinator of the PhD course in Materials Science at the University of Catania (2000-2005).
- President of the Research Committee of the University (University of Catania, 2009-2012) .
- Rector Delegate for International Relationships (University of Catania, 2009-2012)
- Member of the Academic Senate (University of Catania, 2010-2012)
- Graduate Student Award of the Materials Research Society (1988 -Boston)
- Campisano Prize of the National Institute for Matter Physics (INFM) - (2001 – Rome)
- Cavaliere della Repubblica for scientific merits (given by the President of the Republic Carlo Azeglio Ciampi on June 2nd 2001).